NEWS Update 7/19/2021: Slight Delay: We’ll begin re-opening our services beginning July 25, 2021. NOTE: Out of caution, we will conduct some meetings over Zoom or other measures while we are transitioning to a return to pre-pandemic norms. Our services will include on-site visits but we will still want to continue to exercising best practices to mitigate pandemic risks. Website will be undergoing redevelopment in the near future but some minor updates on this WordPress site.
- Welcome to ASTORIA BUILDING DESIGN – Provider of Sustainable Building Design & Landscape Design services in United States ( U.S. ). We may also provide building design services in Canada and at our discretion other countries such as the United Kingdom ( U.K. ), and in several provinces and territories of Australia. We may also provide international Architectural services for clients seeking architectural design services for projects intended to be built in the following countries: Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark (including Greenland).Sustainable Building Design Services: Our services in building design is centrally focused on use of sustainable design practices in connection with the design of new buildings, non-historic & historic existing buildings. Learn more about sustainable building design go to our page on sustainable design.SUSTAINABLE BUILDING DESIGN SERVICES:
- Building Design Services (Depending on the State, Province, or Territory, building design services are services involving the design of buildings or the design of additions or alterations of buildings that are not required to be designed by or under the supervision of a licensed architect. These project types depends on specific states, Provinces, and territories.) To learn more about our building design services, go here.
An Architect is not required, why hire an a building designer versus doing it yourself? Although a licensed is not required for a person to offer and building design services, however, most building designers have education and experience in designing buildings and often they specialize in the design of residential, agricultural, and light/small commercial buildings. DIY is risky and even can be lethally dangerous if you are not trained professionally or have professional experience. Building designers will serve you throughout the design process and work with you through various regulatory processes such as zoning, building codes, and other regulations and work to develop a solution. Building designers are professionals with educational training and experience especially in residential buildings but may also have experience with other types of buildings. At Astoria Building Design, LLC., we have building design experience spanning over a decade starting as a sole-proprietorship and becoming an LLC. in 2018. The Managing principal is the building designer and landscape designer who will work with you from initial consultation through out the design processes of our design (building, interior, and landscape) services and also if project requires, also provide historic preservation consultant related services. Optionally, we may also provide services throughout construction phase of a project such as construction observation and may serve as client’s authorized representative. At this time, we do not provide “construction services” which requires construction contractor license.
LANDSCAPE DESIGN SERVICES:
– Our landscape design services maybe either separate or integrated together with our building design services. To learn more about our landscape design services, go here.
Astoria Building Design, LLC is based in Astoria, Oregon providing these above services as well as the following services:
- Historic Preservation Consultation services
- Interior Design & Tenant Improvement Services
As noted, services may be separate or integrated together. Most new construction design services by us will involve integration of landscape design services for a complete design plan. Services may also be done in phases depending on the requirements of the project after consultation with client about project requirements, budget, and determination of what can be done.
WHAT DOES YOUR SERVICES COST?
There is no one size fits all answer. In short, it depends on the project requirements and scope of services involved. We may charge in a variety of formats from percentage of construction cost, billed hourly rate, fixed fee, etc.
Our Billed Hourly rate is typically going to fall around $75 to $105 per sq.ft. but this may vary. The calculations on this is more involved in determination from cost of operating as a business, direct labor rate, etc. We may negotiate our prices to within reason for ourselves as a business. The total cost of service package will depend on project scope.
When we bill by fixed fees, it will involve calculations based on estimated number of hours, project duration, direct labor cost, business costs, and yes, room for profit. Yes, profit. We’re a business, after all not a non-profit charity.
Some parts of our services are strictly hourly or by some price amount per unit of time such as some price amount per day. This depends on the project and per day is mostly for projects that are not local and require travel to perform.
NOTE: We are not just some drafting service and we are not the ‘cheapest’ but the adage…. you get what you paid for.
Before we meet for initial consultation, we do provide some questionnaire to field some initial information about your project. This is so we can get an idea about what your goals or dreams are for your project. It may also be used to determine if your services are within the scope of work we are allowed to perform. NOTE: All meetings are recorded but are NOT published. They are used to help in facilitating clarity of project requirements and for preparation of written contracts that will require signatures. The written and signed contracts or even written contracts to amend the terms of the existing contract are what will guide the design and contractual obligations. Unrecorded conversations will not be treated as legally binding. If it is something that must be done, we should put it in writing, signed and dated.
Initial consultation will be based on a Billed Hourly rate amount but we may at our discretion waive that initial consultation fee. We charge this fee to discourage ‘window shoppers’ and those who are not serious especially those who don’t have a clear budget or any financial resources secured & set aside. We don’t want to be losing money by spending hours every day fielding prospective clients that do not have any budget.